- Assignment of hair foam
- Types of hair foam
- How to use hair foam: step by step instructions
- Hair foam: stylists answer readers' questions
- What is the difference between mousse and hair foam?
- Who shouldn't use hair foam?
- What to look for in hair foam?
- How to get the most volume with hair foam?
- Can I use a curling iron or flat iron with styling foam?
Surely every girl has an idea of what hair foam is, but not everyone uses her potential to the fullest. How to do styling with this tool? Revealing all the secrets
Assignment of hair foam
What is the main feature of hair styling foam? What sets it apart from other styling products is its composition and texture.
What's in it?
- Polymers are the most important component that ensures the fixation of curls. These substances are synthetic, that is, created artificially, or of natural origin.Synthetic promises a stronger hold, while the effect that polymers of natural origin can be called more gentle on hair.
- Butane or propane, which have a drying effect.
- Hydrogenated protein makes the texture of the foam airy and does not allow the strands to stick together.
- Fragrances and preservatives are responsible for the pleasant smell and shelf life of the product, respectively.
- Manufacturers can add herbal extracts and other useful ingredients to hair foam that give shine and shine to curls. There are also special foams with dyes in the composition - such products can temporarily color the strands in bright colors.
As for the texture of the foam, its main characteristics are airiness and softness. The product is easy to apply to both wet and dry hair.
Main functions of hair foam:
- fixing styling,
- adding volume to hair,
- shaping the texture of strands,
- create a winning visual effect - hair looks thicker and fuller.
Types of hair foam
To get a great result with hair foam, you need to understand its varieties. The modern beauty industry offers a variety of mousses and foams that meet a variety of needs.
The best styling tool for thin hair is foam for hair volume. Try Full Volume Extra mousse from L'Oréal Professionnel. With it, you can do a wide variety of styling, from smooth hairstyles to voluminous ones (all due to the high degree of hold).
Curly Hair Foam
To create or design curls, you need a special foam. The fact is that curly hair has a more porous structure and products designed for straight strands are not always suitable for them. To give a defined beautiful shape to your curls, we choose L'Oréal Professionnel's Spiral Queen mousse. Apply a small amount to damp curls, then blow-dry or leave to dry naturally.
For root volume
There are special foams for volume at the roots - for example, Volume Lift spray mousse. It is suitable for both thin and thick hair. Volume Lift has a very interesting format: it is a mousse in the form of a spray, which makes it as convenient as possible to use.
Mousse can be applied to dry or damp hair before styling for a bouncy, voluminous look without weighing down or sticking strands.
Heat protection foams
It is convenient when the product combines several functions, such as fixation and thermal protection.
It makes sense to use such products if you often use hot stylers (curling irons or ironing). In addition, 2 in 1 products do not overload the hair.
Foam to create the effect of wet hair
All of the listed foams are suitable for any "wet" styling - it's a matter of the amount of product. For the effect of wet hair, you need a lot of foam - do not be afraid to overdo it.
Small curls look very interesting, laid with foam or mousse. And how exactly you can beautifully form small curls, read here.
Smooth Styling Foam
Usually perfectly smooth hairstyles are created using gel or hairspray.But not everyone likes the glossy shine that these products give at the finish. Foam for hair provides a more natural effect, allowing you to achieve smoothness without excess shine. For these purposes, we recommend choosing products with a strong degree of fixation. It is convenient to distribute the foam through the hair with a special styling brush or a comb with fine, often set teeth.
Hair care foams
Some mousses and foams contain caring substances that additionally nourish the hair and protect it from damage. Such styling products are usually used by professional stylists.
How to use hair foam: step by step instructions
Practice shows that not everyone knows how to properly use hair styling foam. Our stylists are ready to share life hacks that make styling easier.
It is best to apply foam on slightly damp curls - this way you get the most natural result.
Do not use a large amount of foam (wet styling is an exception). Let the curls remain mobile and loose.
Apply the foam first to the roots of the hair, and then distribute the product along the entire length of the strands.
Don't over-styling with foam to keep your hair (and ends in particular) at risk of drying out.
Cleanse your hair and scalp thoroughly if using foam. The remnants of styling on the hair and scalp can provoke increased oiliness of the hair. If this has already happened, we recommend trying L'Oréal Professionnel Pure Resource Shampoo. It will restore the hydro-lipid balance of the scalp and give you a feeling of freshness and cleanliness of the hair.
When choosing a foam, pay attention to its composition and degree of fixation.
- Strong hold is perfect if you need to make an intricate hairdo for a special occasion. To create ordinary curls or “beach” styling, it is better to give preference to foams with a medium and weak degree of fixation.
- For brittle and weakened hair, moisturizing foams with caring ingredients are recommended.
Hair foam: stylists answer readers' questions
What is the difference between mousse and hair foam?
It's essentially the same product. The mousse may have a lighter texture. But usually the difference in the definition of the category is due only to the choice of the manufacturer.
Who shouldn't use hair foam?
There are practically no contraindications - the foam is perfect for any type of hair. You should not use styling products (any) only for those who have problems with the condition of the scalp and / or whose hair is seriously damaged. In this case, it is necessary to start restoring the hair, and only when the desired effect is achieved, you can start using styling again.
What to look for in hair foam?
Avoid high levels of parabens in the product. Too aggressive composition negatively affects the he alth of the hair and leads to dryness and brittle hair. Although more often the problem is in incorrect or too frequent use. With the active use of styling products, do not forget about shampoos for intensive cleansing, they are needed about once a week.
How to get the most volume with hair foam?
When blow-drying your hair, use a round brush to lift your hair from the roots in a brushing technique.
The easiest way to add volume to your hair is to dry your hair upside down. True, there is a risk that in this case the styling will not be the most accurate. After such drying, it will be necessary to spend a little time on the final styling.
Can I use a curling iron or flat iron with styling foam?
Stylists do not advise using hot stylers with foam or mousse: this can severely damage the hair. Foam is best used in combination with a hair dryer or for the final fixation of styling.